For the last several years, I've made a point of having at least one resolution for New Years that I really stick with. Since I don't like to set myself up for failure, I try to avoid the "be me, just better" style of resolutions: instead, it tends to be something new.
Here are my resolutions from the last five years:
- 2019: Make an email account for my newborn son and periodically send him messages.
- 2020: Read at least one book a month, alternating between fiction and nonfiction.
- 2021: Start a new chapter in my career (moved on from my first employer after 6 years).
- 2022: Start intermittent fasting (basically skipping breakfast).
- 2023: Record an EP with my band (we finished this but have not uploaded yet).
For 2024, I am going to start making video content.
There are a few reasons, but the main two are that I want to get familiar with video recording and editing to have that in my personal toolbelt, and that I want to start the act of teaching. It's my belief that teaching is a integral human activity, and since 2024 marks the 10th year of my professional career as a software engineer, it seems like a good time to begin the act of passing forward whatever I have learned.